Wednesday, June 02, 2010

Irish Postcards: West Coast

Here are just a few shots I took, to get the ball rolling on documenting the trip.  The top two are from Yeats Country, specifically Rosse's Point.  The third is Galway Bay; I believe that row of houses is the Claddagh of ring fame. You may be seeing a lot of that.  I loved the look and the colors, and since it was our first part of the trip, I may have gone a wee bit ape-shit with the photographs.  Later I didn't feel it quite so necessary to take 492 shots of every place (varying for angle and light) that appealed.  (Observant readers may notice that the Rosse's Point photos are both of the same location, however.)  This was aided too by the discovery that the extra memory card I thought I had packed with the camera was in fact just an empty case (no, I don't know what I was thinking, shut up), so my plans to switch cards when the first one became full (somewhere around day ten) had to be amended to erasing redundancies while we went.  That became a useful process though.  Meditative, almost.  

It's fairly easy to get shots that look like something the Tourist Board would have put out.  I acknowledge that without shame.  We never saw any rainbows, however.  I think October is really the best time of year for them.  When I was there in the Fall of '86, I saw at least two rainbows a day while travelling in the west.  Seriously.  We just had to make due with sunny days broken occasionally by unimposing cloud cover.  Fortunately we're both survivors, Mary and me.

There will be stories and musings too, don't worry, but today I need to get reacquainted with my New York life in various ways.  




6 comments:

Ben said...

Welcome back, kiddo! I look forward to seeing all 8000 photos in the near future. Perhaps a flickr account is in order?

Greg said...

Lovely photos, Pal! Glad to hear you had a great time (hey, I'm just seeing another post before this which I missed...).

I look forward to reading, hearing and seeing all about it as you re-acclimate to East Coast living and all.

MartininBroda said...

I was at the same places 11 years ago, impressive photos, strange how this one have the ability to connect.

Java said...

Good to see you got back home. The pictures are beautiful.

Marta said...

oh my. sigh.

J-o-h-n-n-y said...

Very beautiful places...
; )

Statcounter