Sunday, February 05, 2006

A Challenge and an Invitation

The invitation first: Brian (Peace of Cake) informed me that this journal was previously only letting other blogger account holders leave comments. So I found the switch I needed, turned it to "on" (that is to say "anyone") and now all are free to leave comments without selling their souls to the blogspot cartel. You will be asked to identify and retype a random collection of words and numbers to verify that you're a person, not a spam generating machine, but when that is done, your comments will get posted. My apologies to anyone who thought she wasn't invited to the discussion.

And now the challenge: I misread a headline in the New York Times yesterday and before I realized my mistake, the Rube Goldberg machine that is my brain had invented a line. I'm sure you've all heard "he puts the fun in dysfunctional" (or the version I love from the movie Naked, "putting the fun back in fundament"); well the line that came to me was "he puts the stab in stability." Having come up with it though, I couldn't for the life of me find a context where it would make sense. Is there some horrible reference to hidden domestic violence in this statement? (Hey, it's Superbowl Sunday, the biggest day of the year for domestic violence in this country. Beers and adrenaline for everyone!) If I change the 'he' to 'she', would it become some sort of bleak Lorena Bobbitt joke? I don't think so, what she did was more of a slicing or snipping action, right? And at no point before, during or after said slicing could the situation be characterized as 'stable'. Can this line possibly be amusing?

So I ask you, dear readers, to send me any justifications you can come up with for this line. I'm hoping for funny, obviously, but don't let me cramp your style. I Can't wait to see what you come up with.

No comments:

Statcounter